3D/2D Maxwell's Solver for Nanophotonic Devices
FDTD is the gold-standard for modeling nanophotonic devices, processes, and materials. This finely-tuned implementation of the FDTD method delivers reliable, powerful, and scalable solver performance over a broad spectrum of applications. The integrated design environment provides scripting capability, advanced post-processing, and optimization routines – allowing you to focus on your design and leave the rest to us.
FDTD is a simulator within Lumerical’s DEVICE Multiphysics Simulation Suite, the world’s first multiphysics suite purpose-built for photonics designers. The DEVICE Suite enables designers to accurately model components where the complex interaction of optical, electronic, and thermal phenomena is critical to performance.
Key FDTD applications include:
- CMOS Image sensors
- OLEDs and Liquid Crystals
- Surface Metrology
- Surface Plasmonics
- Solar Cells
- Integrated Photonic Components
- Diffractive Optics and Photonic Crystals
3D CAD Environment
3D CAD Environment and parameterizable simulation objects allow for rapid model iterations.
- Build 1D, 2D, or 3D models
- Define custom surfaces and volumes
- Import geometry from standard CAD and IC layout formats
Uses multi-coefficient models for accurate material modeling over large wavelength ranges.
- Accurately represent real materials over broad wavelength ranges
- Automatically generate models from sample data, or define the functions yourself.
- Advanced conformal mesh is compatible with dispersive and high-index contrast materials, with high accuracy for coarse mesh
Nonlinearity and Anisotropy
Simulate devices fabricated with nonlinear materials or materials with spatially varying anisotropy.
- Choose from a wide range of nonlinear, negative index, and gain models
- Define new material models with flexible material plug-ins
Powerful post-processing capability, including far-field projection, band structure analysis, bidirectional scattering distribution function (BSDF) generation, Q-factor analysis, and charge generation rate.
Lumerical’s high-performing FDTD works seamlessly with high-performance computing (HPC):
- Greatly speed up single very-large simulations or parameter-sweeps with many small simulations
- Works seamlessly with on-premise platforms or cloud platforms such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Alibaba Cloud
- Using FDTD’s built-in scheduler, launch many parallel servers with little effort
- Job check-pointing to reduce computing costs by enabling users to recover from hardware failures or access to inexpensive spot pricing from cloud providers
- Support for Amazon Linux and self-activated licensing.
FDTD is interoperable with all Lumerical tools through the Lumerical scripting language, Automation API, and Python and MATLAB APIs.
- Build, run, and control simulations across multiple tools.
- Use a single file to run optical, thermal, and electrical simulations before post-processing the data in MATLAB.
Need help with your Lumerical products?
Our product experts and support specialists make us the preferred full service R&D solution partner in the industry.
Visit our Support page