3D Heat Transport Simulator
Built on the finite element method, HEAT provides designers with comprehensive thermal modeling capabilities. The finite-element heat transfer and Joule heating solver easily handles conductive, convective, and radiative effects, as well as optically and electrically generated heat, enabling engineers to have confidence in the stability and reliability of their designs.
HEAT is a solver within Lumerical’s DEVICE Multiphysics Simulation Suite, the world’s first multiphysics suite purpose-built for photonics designers. The DEVICE suite enables designers to accurately model components where the complex interaction of optical, electronic, and thermal phenomena is critical to performance. As part of Finite Element IDE, designers can quickly analyze complex active devices while benefiting from Lumerical’s industry-leading usability, performance, and accuracy.
Key HEAT applications include:
- Thermal waveguide tuning
- Waveguide integrated biosensors
- Photothermal heating
- Loss-less optical switches
- Heat flow in solids
- 2D/3D finite element heat transfer solver
- steady-state and transient simulation
- Comprehensive thermal material models
- Joule heating from electrical conduction
- Heat flux, convection and radiation
- Automatic mesh refinement based in import heat profiles
Highly integrated interoperable solvers
- Self-consistent charge and heat transport simulation
- Perform multiphysics simulations
- Photovoltaic (FDTD/DGTD, CHARGE & HEAT)
- Opto-thermal (FDTD/DGTD & HEAT)
- Plasmonics (DGTD & HEAT)
Self-consistent CHARGE/HEAT Modeling
- Self-heating effects
- High-current devices
- Requires both CHARGE and HEAT licenses
Finite Element IDE
- 1D/2D/3D modeling
- Import STL, GDSII, and STEP
- Parameterizable simulation objects
- Domain partitioned solids for easy property definition
- Geometry-linked sources and monitors
- Automatic mesh refinement based on geometry, materials, doping, refractive index, and optical or heat generation
Comprehensive Material Models
- Flexible visual database
- More than 500 customizable electronic and thermal properties and models for accurate simulation of complex effects
- Scriptable material properties
Lumerical tools are interoperable through the Lumerical scripting language, Automation API, and Python and MATLAB APIs.
- Build, run, and control simulations across multiple tools.
- Use a single file to run optical, thermal, and electrical simulations before post-processing the data in MATLAB.