Comprehensive Optical Waveguide Design Environment
Whether you are working on fiber optics or integrated photonics, MODE has everything you need to get the most out of your waveguide and coupler designs. The Bidirectional Eigenmode expansion and varFDTD engines easily handle both large planar structures and long propagation lengths, providing accurate spatial field, modal frequency, and overlap analysis.
MODE is a simulator within Lumerical’s DEVICE Multiphysics Simulation Suite, the world’s first multiphysics suite purpose-built for photonics designers. The DEVICE Suite enables designers to accurately model components where the complex interaction of optical, electronic, and thermal phenomena is critical to performance.
Key MODE applications include:
- Couplers and resonators
- Integrated optics
- Electro-optic modulators
- Thermal tuning and switching
- Transmission lines
3D CAD Environment
3D CAD Environment and parameterizable simulation objects allow for rapid model iterations.
- Build 1D, 2D, or 3D models
- Define custom surfaces and volumes
Advanced Conformal Mesh
Achieve high accuracy with your simulations, even with coarse meshes, thanks to submesh geometry sensitivity
- Compatible with dispersive and high-index contrast materials
- Bend loss analysis
- Overlap calculation / analysis
- Modal area analysis
- Helical waveguides
Variational FDTD Propagation
Simulate large planar waveguides with the accuracy of 3D FDTD at 2D simulation speeds, with MODE’s 2.5D variational FDTD (varFDTD) solver.
- Ideal for large propagation lengths in waveguide or fiber devices
- Automatically sweep device length and periodicity
Lumerical’s high-performing varFDTD works seamlessly with high-performance computing (HPC):
- Greatly speed up single very-large simulations or parameter-sweeps with many small simulations
- Works seamlessly with on-premise platforms or cloud platforms such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and Alibaba Cloud
- Using MODE’s built-in scheduler, launch many parallel servers with little effort
- Job check-pointing to reduce computing costs by enabling users to recover from hardware failures or access to inexpensive spot pricing from cloud providers
- Support for Amazon Linux and self-activated licensing.
MODE is interoperable with all Lumerical tools though the Lumerical scripting language, Automation API, and Python and MATLAB APIs. Simulate optical components using optical, electrical, and thermal multiphysics.